News

Boxing: Ex-WBA middleweight champ Murata to continue fighting

Japanese boxer Ryota Murata, who lost his WBA middleweight title in October, announced Tuesday that he will continue his career.

Following his defeat by unanimous decision by American Rob Brant in his second defense of the world title, the 32-year-old Murata said he would consider whether to keep boxing or retire.

(Murata during his title fight against Brant on Oct. 20, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada.)[Getty/Kyodo]

Murata was pummeled by his speedier opponent in the Oct. 20 fight at the Park Theater in Las Vegas, saying it was the first time he had «taken such a beating.»

In his first world title match, Brant dominated the fight and threw 500 more punches than Murata. The head of Murata’s Teiken gym, Akihiko Honda, conceded Murata had been ill-prepared for the fight after preparations were slowed when he came down with a fever.

Despite admitting the fight was a one-sided loss, Murata said he had no regrets because he was proud of his career and hoped to look back on fight against Brant positively.

Murata, the 2012 Olympic middleweight gold medalist, became the first Japanese champion in both professional and amateur competitions after claiming the WBA middleweight title last year in a rematch against France’s Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam.

In April, Murata made his first title defense in Yokohama where he beat former European middleweight champion Emanuele Blandamura by technical knockout in the eighth round. He has a 14-2 record with 11 wins by knockout since turning professional in 2013.

All — Kyodo News+

Leave a Comment